This recipe is popular among our family and friends. We get requests a-lot during the cool weather for this. My mom and MaDi was the one that started this tradition and we’ve continued this. Now; it’s among one of the top favorite recipes. We usually double the batch and have enough for 2-3 days of leftovers, but we always had a big gathering when we do this soup. I am so ready for the cooler weather to arrive so we can have this.
- 10 cans Great Northern Beans (or you can use dry beans and follow the instruction on soaking it)
- 8 cups chopped & cooked chicken cubes
- 2 TBSP Olive Oil
- 4 Medium chopped onion
- 8 garlic cloves – chopped
- 4 – 4 oz green chilies; chopped
- 4 tsp ground cumin
- 3 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 12 cups chicken broth (7 cans)
- 6 cups Monterey Jack Cheese
- 2 – 12 oz sour cream
- Boil the chicken until it’s done then cut into cubes
- Heat oil at medium heat then add the onion and saute for 2-5 minutes
- Stir in Garlic, Cumin, Chilies, oregano, and cayenne pepper. Saute those for 2-5 minutes
- Add in the beans and broth.
- Bring those to complete boil then reduce heat
- Simmer uncovered until beans are tender (roughly 60 -90 minutes for spice to infuse)
- Add chicken and 2 cups of cheese
Note: I usually put the chicken in at the same time as the beans and broth so the chicken could be infused with the spice as well. You also could add fresh chopped mushroom. Jeff LOVES that.